Saturday, May 22, 2010




One of my original influences for my colour palette was Marie Antoinette, the film by Sofia Coppola, and the Wallace Collection. SO now I'm questioning how I'm going to hang my show with all of the work constantly changing, I'm revisiting the Wallace Collection for any more further ideas on the hanging.

The Great Gallery (see top image) has lots of large infamous works all in the one room. It's sometimes overwhelming I find, but in a good way. In a sense you're more likely to take the whole of the room in as one piece, rather than each painting individually. However; do I want this for my work?
I quite like the dialogue of the advertising images being considered as the public's property, just like the Wallace Collection is considered part of the nation's collection/heritage. Who own's images?
I feel that scale brings alot of this into question further, we have these images imposed upon us, does that action mean that the only way to deal with them is to just further accept them as part of the environment, part of the metropolis. Letting them fade into the buildings we can block them out. Or can we?
The Boudoir at the Wallace Collection (the pink room above) is alot more intimate, and realistically more similar space-wise to what I have for the degree show. It also seems to be just a room full of women's faces, which is one of the key parts of my work, "The Look", "The Face" etc, and the tedious format of constructed images of women.
Luckily I don't have furniture to negotiate with, but I do have the two long tall skinny lightboxes. It's going to have to be a case of making the work (all wet stuff next week) and then getting in the space and playing. Ultimately there will be two lightboxes, some large poster work, and some super large poster work!

No comments:

Post a Comment